Wednesday 15 October 2014

Travel Diaries: London Part 2

HYDE PARK
One of my biggest dreams was to study at Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London while in London so I booked two short courses at the Kings Cross campus.

Week 1: Ceramics Intermediate
Week 2: Business For Creatives


My Airbnb flat was only 15 minutes walking and that helped me calm my anxiety of the first day doing what I enjoy the most: Ceramics. Maybe since I started this blog I've never wrote a post about my experience with ceramics so I will explain a little.


CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS, KINGS CROSS CAMPUS.


Everything started with the name of song 'El Alfarero' or 'The Potter'. I found the word really interesting and when I realized what potters do I was fascinated about squeezing and moulding with my hands.

As a kid, my mom organized a ceramic workshop at my house, where other school friends and their moms came to create different figures like pigeons and small vases.

-time freeze and- Next I enrolled myself in classes right after finishing uni and I haven't stopped since -over 4 years now-. 


So, Ceramics Intermediate was perfect for me. It was a monday to friday, 9am to 5pm course in the best ceramic workshop I've ever been in my whole life.




Everything was about glazing, firing our recipes, slip casting and mould making. You could use whatever technique you wanted in order to finish a project by the end of the week. 










I believe this course is perfect for people who has knowledge about ceramics and its processes, but if you are not an english speaker, it could be really difficult because of the technical terminology. 

I recommend studying before, so you don't ask basic questions all the time and making the class go slow.

I learned about glazes, how to use a lather, how to make moulds with plaster -impressive material by the way- and to use a wheel -with which I made the three pipes-.

I was really pleased with the result and my classmates were really interesting women from all over the world and with different purposes in life. 

I hope that someday each one of you have an enriching educational experience as I had during that week at CSM.

On my next post I'll talk about the other course I took -Business for Creatives- and if someone wants to know more about the Ceramics Intermediate course I'll be glad to answer your questions.

XX,

Carolina.